This course is for anyone who intends to marry, is married, or has children that will marry.
This detailed weekend course, being offered for the first time online by Darul Iftaa, will discuss all matters pertaining to marriage. It will cover everything from the definition/meaning of marriage and love, objectives of marriage and selecting a suitable spouse, to sexual intimacy, living a marital relationship and resolving issues that all married couples face. A great emphasis will be laid on separating cultural practices and Islamic teachings. Whether you are unmarried, married, or have children of marriageable age, this course is for you. If you are unmarried, this course will prepare you for your future marriage life. If you are already married, it will help you better your marriage. If you are a parent with children of marriageable age, it will help you deal with an important and critical stage of your child’s life, In Sha Allah. Above all, this course will teach us how to please Allah Most High through the beautiful relationship of marriage.
• The deeper meaning of marriage and love in Islam
• The objectives of marriage
• How to select a spouse
• Role of parents in marriage
• Rules regarding engagements
• Islamic viewpoint on secret, forced and arranged marriages
• Islamic viewpoint on temporary marriages
• Prenuptial agreements
• The rules of dowry
• Rules relating to sexual relations and intimacy
• The rights and responsibilities of spouses
• How to address marriage problems
• What causes marriages to breakdown
• Rules of separation and divorce
• And much more…
• Definition of marriage & its importance/merits
• Objectives of marriage (maqasid al-nikah)
• The Shari’a ruling on marriage
• Choosing an ideal spouse (what to consider, and qualities to avoid)
• Methods of finding a spouse
• Looking at a suitor and meeting
• Istikhara (prayer of seeking guidance)
• Proposing marriage & negotiations
• Rules pertaining to engagement
• Love before marriage
• The verbal contract of marriage
• Civil marriages, marriage over the phone/agency, temporary marriages
• Sunna method of conducting a marriage
• The wedding feast (walima)
• Simplicity in marriage ceremonies
Questions & Answers session
• The role of guardian/parents
• Secret and forced marriages
• Sunna method of taking consent
• Prenuptial agreements/contracts
• Dowry/marriage payment (mahr)
• The first night of marriage & Sexual Relations
• Rights & Responsibilities of the Spouses
• Addressing Marital Problems
• Causes of Separation and Divorce
15 min break
• Fiqh of divorce
• Idda (waiting period)
• Child custody laws
• Other related matters
Questions & Answers session
A live Q&A session will be held on Saturday 19th of March 2022, 1 pm – 3 pm via Zoom.
We are using Google Classroom as our Learning Management Portal. Please sign-up to Google Classroom with same email address you will use during course enrolment. We will invite you to our course classroom.
Schedule for the classes is mentioned above under “Discussion and Breakdown” section.
You will be provided a recording of the session so you can catch up without missing any content.
We will be using Zoom.us. We will share zoom invite link with you on Google Classroom.
Yes. At the end of each day there will be long Q&A Session with Mufti Muhammad Ibn Adam.