Can you answer the questions below with regards to Hajj?
1) Can one take one’s ihram sheets off to go to sleep (when in the state of ihram)?
Yes, it will be permissible for one to remove the Ihram sheets in order to go to sleep or take a shower, etc. What is impermissible is that one wears some type of clothing that is sewn, stanched, etc. (Radd al-Muhtar, 2/481)
2) Are there any restrictions at all for the clothing of women in the state of ihram?
The Ihram of a woman is similar to a man except that she must not let any cloth or materials touch her face, and she will recite the Talbiya quietly in a way that only she herself can hear it. She must also keep her head covered, for that is a general requirement. (Hidaya)
3) What are the actual integrals, fardh and wajib of: Ihraam, Tawaaf, and sa’i.
The conditions (shurut) for the validity of Ihram are:
a) Being a Muslim,
b) Intention of Ihram along with the recitation of Talbiya (or any other Dhikr on its place), at least once,
The Wijibs of Ihram are:
a) Making the intention of Ihram from the legal boundary (miqat),
b) Refraining from those acts that are prohibited whilst in Ihram,
The conditions for the validity of Tawaf are:
a) Being a Muslim,
c) Performing the Tawaf in the Masjid al-Haram,
d) Performing the Tawaf around the Ka’ba,
e) Carrying out the most part of the seven rounds,
And additionally in Hajj:
f) The specific time,
g) Preceding the Tawaf with the Wuquf of Arafa,
h) Preceding the Tawaf with the Ihram,
And the Wajibs in Tawaf are:
a) Ritual purity from major and minor impurities (hadath al-Akbar & hadath al-Asgar),
b) Covering the nakedness of the body (awra),
c) Performing Tawaf on foot for those who are capable,
d) To perform Tawaf with the Ka’ba on one’s left side,
e) Not to include the Hatim whilst performing Tawaf,
f) To start the Tawaf from Hajr al-Aswad, (though some stated that it is a Sunnah),
g) Offering the two Rak’ats of Tawaf after completion,
The integrals of Sa’i are:
a) To perform it between Safa and Marwa,
b) To perform Sa’i after the completion of Tawaf or most part of it,
c) To precede the Sa’i with the Ihram of Hajj or Umra,
d) To begin the Sa’i from Safa and to end at Marwa,
e) In Hajj, to perform the Sa’i in its time (Hajj days),
f) To perform most part of the Sa’i,
(See: Manasic of Mulla Ali al-Qari, and Mu’allim al-Hujjaj)
4) If one cannot sacrifice an animal with ones own hands what are the conditions of having an agent do that for one?
It is more virtuous to slaughter the animal yourself and eat from it. If you are unable to do so, then it is recommended to witness the slaughtering, and if that is also not possible, one may appoint another person to slaughter the animal on ones behalf, whilst making the intention for the sacrifice, in that is it for Hajj al-Qiran or Hajj al-Tamattu’. (Manasic)
5) Is the ruling for intention for ihram, tawaaf, etc. the same for other hanafi worship like salah i.e. no need to pronounce it as long as there is mental intent?
Yes, to make the intention verbally is not necessary. However, one must recite the Talbiya (or another Dhikr on its place) aloud whilst making the intention of Ihram.
6) Whilst in ihram it is permissible to kill harmful animals – what is the definition of harmful? Does it include mosquitoes? Why not head lice?
There is nothing wrong in killing mosquitoes (Mukhtasar al-Quduri), but to kill head lice is impermissible, and if one did, one must give Sadaqah.
7) If, in a Tamattu Hajj, one wants to do some nafl Umrahs in between the days of Hajj and one’s initial Umrah, is it necessary to go outside the boundaries of the Haram and then re-enter?
Yes, the intention of Ihram will be made by going to Masjid A’isha. One may only perform optional Tawafs.
8) If one cannot touch the Rukne Yamaani during ones shawt then should one raise ones hands similar to when one cannot physically do istilaam?
It is recommended (mustahab) to touch and wipe the Rukn al-Yamani with both hands or with just the right hand, without kissing it. If one is not able to touch it, then (according to the preferred narration in the Hanafi Madhhab) one does not raise his hands to gesture towards it. (Manasic of Mulla al-Qari)
9) When drinking zam-zam do we say “bismillah alhamdulillah” or “baitullah alhamdulillah” (the latter is what is stated in the hajj zip file at yahoo hanafi groups)
One can recite any Du’a whilst drinking the water of Zamzam. The Dua in which one asks for beneficial knowledge……. has been recommended.
10) What is the status of saying “bismillah Allah hu akbar wa lillahilhamd” in tawaaf?
All the Duas of Tawaf are Mustahab (Mu’allim al-Hujjaj)
11) In Tamattu Hajj is it preferrable(Sunnah) to do halq for both Umrah and Hajj or to do qasr for Umrah and then halq on the 10th day ZH?
In Umra or Hajj, it is better to shave off the head (halq), although trimming the hair is also permissible. (Manasic)
12) Do the same rulings of impurity of clothing apply to ones ihram sheets? I.e. if one has blood or najasa on them one cannot do tawaaf with them?
To keep the body and clothing free of any physical impurities (najasat al-Haqiqiyya) is a Sunnah of Tawaf, thus Tawaf will be valid with it. (Manasic).
And Allah knows best
[Mufti] Muhammad ibn Adam
Leicester , UK