Is it haram for a woman to wear fake eyelashes because they come under the heading of hair extensions which the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) forbade?
There are certain things need considering in relation to wearing fake eyelashes:
1) Wearing the hair of another human or joining human hair to one’s own hair is clearly forbidden in Islam, and cursed by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) in the famous Hadith recorded by Bukhari and others. However, it is permitted to use animal hair (other than a pig) or synthetic hair according to many classical scholars (including the Hanafis) even if the hair was completely fitted onto one’s own hair. (For more details on this, please refer to the answer previously posted on this website titled, “Wigs and False Hair.”)
As such, wearing fake eyelashes from this angle cannot be considered unlawful (haram).
2) If fake eyelashes are worn to deceive others, such as deceiving a prospective fiancé, then this is undoubtedly unlawful. Wearing them for one’s husband, with his knowledge, is not considered deception.
3) Some medical experts claim that fake eyelashes are medically harmful leading to chronic allergies in the skin and eyes, and infection in the eyelids. If this is proven, then it will not be permitted to wear them, since inflicting harm upon oneself is impermissible.
Allah Most High says:
“And make not your own hands contribute to [your] destruction.” (Surah al-Baqarah, V: 195)
4) It goes without saying that using them to draw the attention of non-Mahram members of the opposite gender is without doubt strictly prohibited in Islam.
5) Wearing fake eyelashes is kind of excessive beautification not warranted in Islam and thus goes against the spirit of the teachings of Allah Most High and His beloved Messenger (Allah bless him & hive him peace).
As such, in conclusion, even if there is no deception or medical harm associated with wearing fake eyelashes, they are best avoided, keeping in line with the true spirit (ruh) of Islamic teachings.
Please also refer to a similar answer titled, “Is it Unlawful to use Skin/Face-Lightening Creams?” for more details, Insha Allah.
And Allah knows best
[Mufti] Muhammad ibn Adam
Leicester , UK